Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Instructors
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt
Ben is the head instructor at Jean Jacques Machado Melbourne, the BJJ program housed within Melbourne Budo Academy. He is a direct affiliate of Master Jean Jacques Machado. Ben was introduced briefly to BJJ in 2008 under Stewart Moulden, prior to travelling to China to practice Chinese Kung-Fu for one year. Upon return in mid 2009 BJJ has been the main focus and he currently holds the rank of brown belt under Professor Stewart Moulden and Jean Jacques Machado.
During this time he has also developed freestyle wrestling and submission grappling experience with numerous trips overseas. Notably, spent a semester in 2014 training freestyle wrestling in Canada at the University of Calgary, under head coach Mitch Ostburg.
- 10+ years Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- 4+ years freestyle wrestling
- 2x Months training BJJ in Brasil/Argentina
- 2x training camps Muay Thai in Thailand
- Amateur boxing, KyoKushin Karate and Muay Thai experience
- Competition experience in freestyle wrestling Aus Cup, Aus Nationals and Dino's invitational Calgary.
- Competed in Pan Pacific, Melbourne Open and Aus National BJJ competitions.
Ben is also a qualified Physiotherapist and is dedicated to focusing on the martial arts and building the Team at Budo academy.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 1st Degree Black Belt
David has been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for over 20 years and within the martial arts for over 30 years. He received his Black Belt from Professor Stewart Moulden and Professor Richard Norton on behalf of Jean Jacque Machado in December 2014 at Stewie’s House of BJJ Bendigo academy.
In 2019, he received his 1st degree black belt from Master Jean Jacques Machado.
· 30 years + (Martial Arts).
· 20 years (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).
· 3rd Degree Black Belt (South East Australian Tae Kwon Do) received in 1994.
· 10 years instructing experience in Martial Arts.
· Category 1 Floro Fighting Systems Instructor, promoted and trained by Master Floro.
· 25 years experience in the Criminal Justice systems of three states.